Toxic compounds and excess nutrients are two of the most common causes of contamination and eutrophication in lakes. There are many results from this, the water becomes cloudy and has an unpleasant odor, siltation and bottom sediments increase, and the oxygen levels in the water are depleted: this often leads to fish dying, and use of the lake being completely restricted. (No tourism, recreation, or fishing.) Heavily degraded lakes are not able to recover on their own, even after cutting off the inflow of pollutants. Restricted waters require much more serious “healing” measures for the aquatic ecosystem to return to its natural efficiency. Reclamation of lakes is aimed at removing unfavorable phenomena, improving water quality, and consequently returning the lake to its pre-pollution state.
Reclamation of lakes
Improving the condition of lake ecosystems through the removal and deactivation of nutrients.
Reclamation of lakes, natural ponds, storage reservoirs, and water channels.
We deal with the reclamation of lakes and other bodies of water, and always adjust our methods of operation to the individual characteristics of the water reservoir, the degree of its degradation, the available resources, and the possibilities of the area. The most frequently carried out reclamation activities focus on the elimination of phosphorus from the water (deactivation of biogenic compounds) – the main factor responsible for the eutrophication of lakes. For this purpose, the methods we use include:
- chemical precipitation of phosphorus from the water column with the most effective and environmentally safest mixtures and coagulants;
- aeration of phosphorus-rich and oxygen-poor bottom waters with specially selected aerators;
- chemical blocking of phosphorus directly in lake bottom sediments during artificially controlled sediment disturbance;
- application of safe microbiological mixtures, such as EcoGerm Lakes, for water treatment and sludge removal;
- planting macrophytes and macroalgae in selected parts of the water reservoir;
- biomanipulation and controlling the density of fish stocks;
- dredging, i.e. the removal of a specific separate layer of bottom sediments which contains most of the phosphorus;
- building mineral filter beds with BioChalix for the adsorption of phosphorus compound;
- Hydro Island floating plant installations.
Read more about lake reclamation with microbiological products: Lake bioremediation
Reclamation of lakes and ponds – GOOD TO KNOW:
the highly effective bacterial mixtures that we produce and use to reclaim water reservoirs are a unique global innovation;
our lake reclamation processes are both as effective, and as cost-effective, as possible;
our methods enable us to achieve our clients’ goals in shorter time frames;
our products can be used to immediately remedy minor cases of eutrophication, without the need for a full reclamation process.
We would love to answer all your questions regarding the lake reclamation. Contact us.